martes, 20 de marzo de 2012

First Teaching Practice in Advanced

Yesterday I did my first teaching practicum in Advanced (my biggest fear); even though I made some mistakes and was kind of nervous, the class turned out to be better than how I thought it would be.

I started the class a little bit later and with few students, but as the rest of the students came in, they were getting into the warm up activity; I could notice that they liked it because they were talking a lot and having fun. Honestly, I was afraid they wouldn´t be quiet or paying attention to me because I know this is a restless group, but the presence of licdo. Melendez helped me a lot.

Again, I made the same mistake when working with the PDP framework; I didn´t do a pre activity, but I´m sure that it was the last time, from now on I know I won´t forget it.
Another mistake I made was when giving the grammar explanation. It was a review of relative clauses, so they already know about it and when a I gave them the examples, I should´ve given them the opportunity to provide examples of their own, but I forgot to do so.
I had them doing a roplepay in which they were to use all the vocabulary they had been studying, and they did it well.

Fortunately, the rest of the class went ok although I wasn´t able to finish due to time issues; I would´ve liked to finish because I had prepared a good activity to introduce new vocabulary.

Of course, I hope to improve my teaching skills in the next classes.

6 comentarios:

  1. I am glad to know that you got the advanced group you wanted and everything is working well. Sometimes when he face our fears we realize that they are not a big deal. And I am sure you will be a good teacher even though you don`t want to work in this field. Congratulations for your success with this group and I am proud of you. Wait for me because one of these days I am going to observe your class. =D

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I don't like pre-activities, but if we use the framework, we have to include them... nice to read your 1st class went fairly well :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. congrats Lily. what I can assume is that it was a nice class, so it means that you are improving or shaping your teaching style which is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure that you will do nice with this group because when there comes the time to work, they do it.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Liliana,
    You did a good job managing the group. I know it was a great challenge for you, but I am pretty sure you will succeed. I am glad you are taking into account the suggestions if the teachers.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. A TEACHER TOLD ME IT IS NOT GOOD TO ASK STUDENTS TO PROVIDE EXAMPLES WHEN YOU ARE EXPLAINING THE GRAMMAR PART EVEN THOUGH THEY ALREADY KNOW THE TOPIC. WHAT WE HAVE TO DO IS TO GET ACCUSTOMED TO THE DIFFERENT TEACHERS AND WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT EVERY TEACHER HAS HIS/HER OWN TEACHING WAY

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Im so grateful for all your comments! thank you very much :)

    ResponderEliminar